Welcome to my blog!

This blog is an honest look at what life is like for this particular American convert to Islam. We're taught in Islam to cover our sins, to not air them, for fear of lessening the severity of sinning. In this blog, I may relate past indiscretions from time to time. This isn't to make light of them, but in the interest of educating Muslims and non-Muslims alike as to the realities of life as an American convert, I present my mistakes honestly. I make no excuses for them, nor do I claim that they were okay to make. I am not perfect, and I make no pretenses as to that. If others can learn from my past, know that Islam, and religion in general, is open for people no matter what mistakes they've made, then I will gladly air my sins when needed.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Welcome!

It ain't easy being green.

... Wait.

Oh! Oaky, I've got it now. Let's try this again:

It ain't easy being a waitress. It ain't easy being Muslim in the United States. It ain't easy being a hijabi, especially when one works with the public. It also ain't easy being a white, female, American convert.

Wait, why's my life so easy, then? Oh, whatever. Welcome to my blog, The Adventures of a Hijabi Waitress. I'm your waitress with the ... I can't think of a word that rhymes with "waitress," but when I do, I'll let you know. I'm a white, female, American convert to Islam, currently working as a waitress at a well-known 24-hour diner, covered and proud of it. I'm going to chronicle my wacky adventures here, and I hope my words will make you laugh, make you think, and, God willing, increase your understanding of everything that I am.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog BTW. When I first converted ALL the same issues cuz I worked in the public in a bank (didn't know riba [interest] was that haraam till a while in so now I've changed professions). I loved the ability to give dawah.

    To the terrorist jokes, if anyone makes them at your work.

    'Yes, I am a terrorist. One of Al Queda's best. They sent me here undercover. LOL, as IF this would be, militarily, ya know? The MOST STRATEGIC place to destroy the world's food supply.'

    I got interviewed by Canada's anti-terrorist taskforce cuz I worked at a bank. Ya know? Cuz I could wrie money to terrorist cells overseas? LOL, good thing the bank has a strict "don't serve friends or family" policy, and all Muslims were my friends, so they could never REALLY look at me suscpiciously beyond my hijab. My work was great about it all though. They laughed at it being ridiculous and honestly, if someone had a problem with me serving them, the bank would close their accounts and tell them to do their banking elsewhere. Prejudice isn't allowed in the Royal Bank of Canada.

    ReplyDelete